Sunday, September 21, 2008

What a Dress It Is!

I find it quite amazing to discover in myself that at no matter what age in my life, there has and still is something exciting about putting on that 'just right for the occasion' little dress.  I clearly remember my favorites from kindergarten up............ the brand- new- for- school plaids......and then my springtime birthday was the perfect excuse for a new pastel.....loved my first 'little black sheath dress' (still favor that style)....
....oh, of course the prom and ball gowns and then ........the ultimate princess style for my wedding gown that my sister Linda and I shared.  We both loved that dress and always dreamed that one of our FIVE girls would feel the same about it. 

By the way.......no one did.  They obviously did not inherit our sense of style!

This posting is not about any of those styles though.  This story is about a very, very, special dress that has always been my favorite since my first baby girl was born.  This dress was sent by a dear friend of my husband's family named Helene who lived in Chicago and heard about the birth of our daughter and just 'HAD to send something really gorgeous' to her. 
 
She certainly did.  This 'sweet wonder' still has the Marshall Fields label carefully sewn into the soft lining that ends, just before the hemline with a tiny ruffle edge. Quite honestly, everyone that ever saw this pale yellow dotted Swiss creation marveled at how beautiful it was, first on baby girl #1 and then on baby girl #2.

In between, my nieces looked so lovely in it as well, but when they grew out of it, I washed it, wrapped it up and have kept it safe and secure for 'future wearings'.........a.k.a 'being hopeful'

We're reminded in Ecc.3:6 that there is a time to give up and and to keep and (a slight paraphrase) "give" away. 

Well, my baby girl #1 just had a grown up birthday yesterday and now ................today that beautiful dress got wrapped up in a pretty pink box and hand delivered to little 8 wk. old Hannah who is the daughter of my husband's nephew.  It just seemed right to keep it in the family.
 
 
Thank you Helene..........you'll never know how much enjoyment came from your most generous gift but God certainly does!   How amazing!

How about you..........is there anything special you're saving, that might be better off shared?

2 comments:

Thoughts from the Deep End said...

I remember that dress!

;)

MiMi said...

Congratulations on starting your blog! I LOVE it! Keep up the good work!